Hey it's the Thane of Glamis here, aka Macbeth. Yes, I know that I'm dead, but in retrospect, there's a lot I could have done to prevent my demise, one being marrying a different woman. Here in this blog (it's amazing the technology we get here in the afterlife) I plan to explore the relationship between a king and a tyrant. Humor me, will thee? It's the only relief I get from my Lady Macbeth.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Some Old Journals

I was haunting my old castle Inverness and I stumbled upon some of my old journals... thought I'd show some to you. They're really quite amusing leading up to my death; they show what a raving mad man I was.

I went to see the weird witches today to see if they would divine some more of mine future. Horrid women! Chanting in riddles, weaving their spells around me! I implored them to part with their knowledge, but they were deaf to my pleas. Instead, with their magic, terrible apperations appeared to me, which told me my fate. Macduff, they said was no harm to me, but I will dispach of him just the same. Much as I dislike the act, it must be done. I put my faith completly in the witches, for they have not prophecied wrong.

My lords tell me Macduff has fled to England. Curses! No matter; I will send my murders to Fife anyway, and order them to kill Macduff's family. That will scare him enough to stay in England and never return to his native land.

The deed is done. My murderers have returned to find me anxious and unwell, but their news heartens my dark soul. Macduff's family is all slain. Not a slave, woman or child is alive in Fife. The lady and son, they tell me, gave them some trouble, but they both lie with their throats slit.

My nightmares grow worse. I see Banquo 'round every corner, holding out his bloodied hands at me. There is a spear lodged in his back. Sometimes he seems to be smiling at me and it is that smile that does haunt my dreams. Sometimes I dream that I am the one dying and it is Banquo who stands above me, with my crown upon his head. "Haunt me not, " I cry, "'twas not I who killed thee!" And then he gives me that awful, crooked, broken smile. I cannot stand how my Lady is able to bear all this death. She, not I, the man, accustomed to war and blood. It is shameful.

No comments: